Magento 1 vs Magento 2: What are the Key Differences?
What is Magento? Everything you need to know
Magento is a leading e-commerce platform written in PHP, that empowers online businesses with a shopping cart system and some snappy digital storefronts.
- Available in commercial and open-source licenses
- SEO friendly
- Mobile Responsiveness
Will Magento be a good option for businesses in 2024?
What is Magento called in 2024?
Magento is now part of Adobe, with a new name, “Adobe Commerce.”
What is Adobe Commerce?
Is Magento still open-source in 2024?
While Magento is open-source, most of features are paid.
How does Magento work?
The world of e-commerce has been evolving fast in the past decade, and COVID has accelerated the progress.
To stay competitive, you need to develop your business’s online sales strategy. During events such as COVID, e-commerce is not only about growth but also survival.
If you don’t have an e-commerce business, it’s a good idea to start planning one. If you have one, it might be a good time to reassess your strategy.
One of the elements of your online business is your ecommerce website.
It is not the most important process in an online business operation, but it can make or break your business.
This is where Magento comes in. The Magento ecommerce platform is well known, and there is a good reason for that.
The platform was developed in 2008, and recently received a fundamental upgrade that made it one of the leading ecommerce platforms for SMB and large operations.
The Change Is Happening
Magento 1 was a popular platform and was adopted by over 250,000 merchants.
Magento 1 features
- Magento 1 was about fast improvements
- Was cost – effective – Reasonable budget
- Available health of addons
- Powerful CMS to run any online business
Magento 2 was a major rewrite of the platform to modernize it. Unfortunately, upgrading from Magento 1 to 2 is not a simple process.
It requires a complete implementation plan, but the benefits make the investment payback.
Key differences between Magento 1 and 2:
- Magento 2 is now supporting the latest PHP versions, reducing the browser processing load and making the website perform much better, hence, making your customers happier.
- Magento 2 shows an increase of 39% in orders per hour compared to its predecessor.
- Magento 2 makes it easier to install and update extensions reducing any conflicts and keeping the website stable.
- Magento 2 updated its SEO editor allowing easy management of duplicate content, meta title, meta description, meta keyword, and of course a mobile-friendly layout. These are things that can make your website so much more user-friendly and search-engine-optimization friendly.
- Security is a growing concern and Magento 2 addressed it by strengthening its algorithms and providing a much more secure environment making your website less vulnerable to online attacks.
- Magento was, and stayed, open-source. The Magento 2 Community Edition is free, as was Magento 1. The price of Magento 2 EE for large operations starts at $22,000 per year, this is a small price increase for a lot more power.
Make The Migration Today
You can find more information regarding the Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration and understand how to evaluate e-commerce solutions like Shopify, WooCommerce, and Magento to run your e-commerce business on mejix.com.